The Corning CC women and Hudson Valley CC men recorded victories last weekend at the Hawk Invitational in Rome, New York.
The one-day event was held Sunday at Kingpin Lanes, bringing together four women’s and five men’s National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) programs for competition. Teams competed in six traditional games and five Baker games, with total pinfall determining the winner in each division.
In the women’s division, Corning CC posted a wire-to-wire victory, finishing the event with a 5,554 pinfall total. Mohawk Valley CC was second with 5,475, while Herkimer County CC was third with 4,877.
Individually, Hudson Valley’s Jordan Thomas easily claimed the top spot, posting a six-game block of 1,166 (194.33 average). She was followed in the standings by Corning’s Rachelle Williams (1,068), Mohawk Valley’s Savanah Burgess (1,044), Hudson Valley’s Haley Salvagione (1,025) and Corning’s Zezra Reynolds (999).
On the men’s side, Hudson Valley CC was in third place after three traditional games but rolled scores of 1,090 and 1,046 in Games 4 and 5 to pull away from the field, finishing at the top of the leaderboard with a 6,696 total. Herkimer County CC finished second with 6,379, and Mohawk Valley CC took third with 6,305.
In the men’s individual standings, Mohawk Valley’s Nick Gentile edged Herkimer County’s Tim Cloonan by a single pin for the top spot, finishing his block with a 1,263 total (210.5 average). Erie’s Bryan Hill was third with 1,227, while Hudson Valley’s Jason Macey (1,216) and Mohawk Valley’s Christian Stoddard (1,191) rounded out the top five.
In other USBC Collegiate action over the weekend:
– At the Northeast Classic in Limerick, Pennsylvania, the Vanderbilt women swept McKendree in the title match, 4-0, to claim the win.
– At the Peach State Classic in Athens, Georgia, the Webber International men and Savannah College of Art and Design-Savannah women rolled to big wins.
– At the Devil’s Duel in Phoenix, the Colorado Mesa women and Arizona State men finished at the top of the standings.
– At the Blue and Orange Classic in Carmel, New York, the Suffolk CC men and Roberts Wesleyan women cruised to victory.
– At the Ohio Bowling Conference No. 3 in Columbus, Ohio, the Walsh women and Muskingum men put together sizable wins over their respective fields.
– At the Westchester Invitational in Farmingdale, New York, the Rockland CC men finished the weekend with a win, while the Roberts Wesleyan women claimed their second title of the week by narrowly edging Molloy.
– At the Antelope Shoot-Out in Phoenix, Colorado Mesa toppled the most pins in the women’s division, while the Grand Canyon men held off Fresno State to claim the victory.
For complete results and the full schedule for the 2019-2020 season, click here.